David’s recommended books (selection)
David had over 3000 books in his personal library. He would not speak or teach on a topic until he had thoroughly research it first. Writings that supported his belief, but also writings that others proposed as alternative beliefs to David. David felt that this was the only way he could speak with authority and position a specific teaching, by ensuring he was fully aware of what others taught as the alternative.
Just a few selected books that David referenced directly in some of his talks:
- Encyclopaedia of Biblical Prophecy by J. Barton Payne, listing every prophecy written in the Bible, those which have been fulfilled and those that are yet to happen. This book is out of print, and becoming very rare, prices are unexceptionably high, but of you can find an old copy, it is worth owning.
- Christ in all the Scriptures by A M Hodgkins. When you read a book of the bible ask yourself the question – where is Christ in this book? ………are there specific references to Christ?… perhaps even a personal appearance, physical visitation?
- A Diagram of Synoptic Relationships by Allan Barr. An accurate presentation of the Gospels, presented on one page, side by side showing how they relate to each other. Passages that are unique to one Gospel, and passages that are common across more than one Gospel. This work is also out of print, but the publishers have allowed the David Pawson Teaching Trust to make copies available for free download
Specifically concerning The Prosperity Gospel:
The Prosperity Gospel, as it has become popularly known, is a subject guaranteed to arouse a whole range of diverse opinions. David Pawson gives some recommended books from his own library tackling the issue of Prosperity Teaching for those who wish to live biblically authentic Christian lives as disciples of Jesus in the 21st Century.
- The Health and Wealth Gospel by Bruce Barron and published by Inter Varsity Press
- The Disease of the Health and Wealth Gospel by Gordon Fee and published by Regent College Publishing in Vancouver
- Health, Wealth and Happiness by David W Jones and Russell S Woodbridge and published by Kragel Publications
- Faith, health and prosperity and Evangelical Alliance Report by Andrew Perriman and published in 2003 by Paternoster Press
- Prosperity or Greed by Ewin James and published by Outskirts Press from Denver Colorado
- A Different Gospel by D R McConnell and published by Hendrickson Publishers
- Victorious Christian Living by Alan Redpath – Studies on the Book of Joshua